Monday 13 August 2012

Lemon and Blueberry Sponge Cake Recipe

As promised, albeit a tad later than I had planned here's the recipe for the cake from the last post.

Sponge:
4 eggs
225g self-raising flour
100g good quality baking margarine
125g softened unsalted butter
225g caster sugar
Finely grated rind of a large lemon (optional)

Line 2 x 8 or 9inch cake tins with baking parchment.
Preheat Oven to 180C (170 for fan ovens) and since my new oven is very fancy dancy I selected the top and botton heat and no fan - get me!)

Cream the butter, margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy.  I have a Kenwood food processor but prefere to do this with the electric hand whisk (not entirely by hand as taught by Mrs Baker at Grammar School, tut tut).  Whisk in the eggs one at a time, adding a little flour if the mixture looks like it is about to curdle.  Once all the eggs are incorporated fold in the flour and the grated rind with a metal spoon.
Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for approx 25 mins.  This will depend on your oven but basically until they are golden and spring back when pressed. Cool on a wire rack.

Filling:
I basically make this up as I go along but for this particular cake I used Bon Maman Wild Blueberry jam and made a frosting out of half and half softened butter and cream cheese (one small tub).  I added lemon rind and sifted icing sugar until I reached the right consistency and level of sweetness.  I  have no idea how much I used though. 

When the sponges are cool spread one with jam and the other with the frosting, sandwich them together and dust with icing sugar.  Make youself a big fresh brew, cut a generous slice, put your feet up and sample your results - after all, the quality assurance testing is vital!

You can use different jams, omit the lemon, use orange rind, add fresh berries and use cream or a combination of whipped double cream and custard (extremely yummy and perfect with strawberry or raspberry jam - an upmarket Victorian Sponge - if Queen Vic could ever be considered down market).

Enjoy!
Jules
x

3 comments:

  1. What is this songe cake? Is this a really up market version of a sponge cake or are you speaking with a french accent?
    A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn you, beady-eyed sis - I was, in fact, adding a little exoticism but just to prevent confusion I added a 'p' :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Oh just the job, baking to today for a tea party and this sounds perfect.... thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks - I love to read your comments x